1/ 3Drive datasheet
2/ Comparative table for some available microdrives
3/ 3Drive holders datasheet
4/ Starter kit
How do we compare?
Choosing the right microdrive depends very much on your application, as each design comes with different trade-offs. The 3Drive’s main advantages are the ability to recover your probes intact, compatibility with most chronic probe models, and our competitive pricing. Below we made a comparative table with the 2 main microdrives commercially available.
(1) Data accurate as of May 8, 2018, to our knowledge. Please let us know if you are aware of any changes.
(2) Green denotes – when relevant – which drive performs best for a given parameter.
(3) Screw precision: Neuronexus has 3 drive sizes, thus the range for screw precision, travel distance, footprint and weight.
(4) Multiple drives/animal: Here we consider the rat model. For mice, it is possible – but extremely difficult – to fit 2 nano-Drives or 3Drives, assuming your target areas have a spatial configuration that leaves enough working surface for the microdrives.
(5) *Footprint: In principle, the nano-Drive and smallest dDrive without protective cap are more versatile for different experiments, as they have a smaller footprint. In practice, to achieve that footprint, they have to sacrifice probe protection and recovery, while making the surgery much more complex and unpredictable.